WEST ALABAMA HEROES: McKenzie helps Rice win relays
Wed. January 16, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | By Barry Allen
TUSCALOOSA | Here is how some former Tuscaloosa-area high school athletes now competing at the collegiate level fared last week:
Swimming and Diving
• Rice freshman Cora McKenzie (Tuscaloosa Academy) swam on four of the winning relays for the Owls at the Tampa Invitational last week. McKenzie swam a leg in the 800-meter freestyle, 500-yard freestyle crescendo, 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard freestyle as the Owls ran away with the championship and two-day event.
• Alabama A&M junior forward Demarquelle Tabb (Greensboro High School) averaged 16.5 points and nine rebounds in a pair of conference games last week for the Bullodgs. He closed the week by scoring 17 points and pulling down six rebounds in a 64-57 win over in-state rival Alabama State. He played 33 minutes and hit 9-of-13 foul shots. He opened the week with his sixth double-double of the season in a 77-61 loss to Arkansas-Pine Bluff. He scored 16 points (7-of-13 FG) and grabbed 12 rebounds in 38 minutes.
• Alabama A&M sophomore guard Justin Wagner (Greensboro High School) scored six points in 10 minutes of action in the Bulldogs’ 77-61 loss at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
• Alabama-Huntsville freshman guard Wayne Dedrick (Hillcrest High School) averaged 13.5 points and three rebounds in a pair of games against Christian Brothers and Delta State over the weekend. In the 71-61 win over Christian Brothers, Dedrick scored 14 points (5-for-12 FG) and pulled down five rebounds. He matched his season-high with four 3-pointers. In the 59-53 loss to Delta State, he scored 13 points (5-for-14 FG) and added one rebound.
• Alabama Southern sophomore guard Stephfon Butler (Wilcox Central High School) is averaging 4.8 points and 2.0 rebounds in 12 games this season.
• Alabama Southern freshman guard Charvis Teacher (Greensboro High School) collected four points, five rebounds and three assists in 86-79 overtime loss to Jefferson Davis on Jan. 10.
• Columbus State sophomore guard/forward Dimitri Davis (Tuscaloosa County High School) averaged 10.5 points, six rebounds and two assists in a pair of road games against Francis Marion and Pembroke State. He posted nine points (4-for-7 FG), five rebounds, two assists and two steals in the Cougars 83-72 win over Francis Marion on Jan. 10. Davis added 12 points (5-for-7 FG), seven rebounds and two assists in the loss at Pembroke State.
• Itawamba Community College sophomore forward Tre Wells (Hillcrest High School) averaged four points and five rebounds in a pair of games last week. He tallied four points and four rebounds in the Indians’ lopsided win over Arkansas Baptist College. Two days later, he scored four points and grabbed six rebounds in the 72-60 loss to Copiah Lincoln.
• Middle Tennessee junior forward Neiko Hunter (Greene County High School) averaged 10.5 points, five rebounds and one blocked shot in a pair of Sun Belt Conference wins over Florida Atlantic and UL Monroe. He scored 12 points and grabbed six rebounds in the 62-52 win over FAU. He added nine points and five rebounds in the win over ULM.
• Northeastern sophomore forward Reggie Spencer (Hillcrest High School) averaged 11.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in a pair of road wins over Drexel and Towson State. The Huskies have won four straight games and lead the Colonial Athletic Association with a perfect 4-0 record. He scored 21 points (8-for-12 FG) and pulled down seven rebounds in the 63-58 overtime win at Drexel on Jan. 10.
• Sioux Falls senior guard A.J. Holland (Paul W. Bryant High School) continued his stellar season by averaging 13.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and three assists in a pair of games last week. In the 76-55 win over Minnesota Duluth, he scored 10 points and matched his season high with eight rebounds. In the 10-pont loss to St. Cloud State, he scored 17 points and pulled down five rebounds. He hit three 3-pointers in the game and now has eight double-figure games on the year.
• Stillman College junior guard Markeith Madison (Hillcrest High School) averaged 10.3 points and 8.0 rebounds during the Tigers three-game winning streak against Albany State, Fort Valley State and Clark-Atlanta. He scored double figures against both Albany and Clark and pulled down 10 rebounds against Clark.
• Stillman College junior center Torrean Walker (Hillcrest High School) averaged 13.3 points and 5.7 rebounds during the team’s three-game winning streak. He made 17-of-21 (.810) field goals during the three-game winning streak. He scored 16 points (7-for-8 FG) and grabbed six rebounds in the 66-56 win over Clark.
• West Alabama junior guard Sandy Underwood (Bibb County High School) averaged 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the win over Valdosta State. He came back two days later with 13 points and eight rebounds in another home overtime loss to Delta State.
• Wright State University sophomore center Tavares Sledge (Brookwood High School) averaged 5.5 points and four rebounds in a pair of games against Cleveland State and Loyola Chicago. Sledge had four points and three rebounds today.
• Alabama junior guard Shafontaye Myers (Sunshine High School) had an identical scoring line against both Georgia and Ole Miss last week. In both games she scored 14 points, while hitting 5 of 8 field goals and 4 of 5 3-pointers. She added two rebounds and one steal in the 83-75 win over Ole Miss. She added two steals in the 95-83 loss to sixth-ranked Georgia last Thursday.
• Alabama-Huntsville sophomore forward Juanice Newton (Sumter County High School) tallied four points, 10 rebounds, one blocked shot and one assist in a pair of conference wins over Christian Brothers and Delta State last week. She grabbed six rebounds in the 69-64 win over Delta State on Saturday.
• Judson College sophomore guard Abby Isom (Hillcrest High School) averaged 12 points in three games last week. She scored 12 points and dished out seven assists in a win over Selma on Jan. 8. She tallied 17 points, including five-three pointers, in a win over Welch College. She closed the week with seven points in a loss to Agnes Scott.
• Millsaps freshman forward Tori Morgan (Northridge High School) averaged 5.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in a pair of conference home wins over Rust and Birmingham Southern last week. She had a big game in the 65-55 win over Rust with eight points, nine rebounds, one assist and one steal for the Majors.
• Mississippi State junior guard Katia May (Sumter County High School) averaged 5.5 points and 5.5 assists as the Lady Bulldogs dropped a pair of SEC games to Florida and LSU last week. In the 61-55 loss to Florida on Thursday in Starkville, May scored four points and handed out six assists. She also added one rebound and one steal. In the Sunday’s 62-42 loss at LSU, scored seven points and dished out five assists.
• Shelton State sophomore guard Juliser Harper (Livingston High School) helped the Lady Bucs to pair of wins over Faulkner State and Southern Union this past week. Harper had a huge game in the 88-42 win over Faulkner with 11 points (4-of-6 FG), nine assists, six rebounds and three steals.
• Shelton State freshman guard Kaitlyn Taylor (Holy Spirit High School) helped the Lady Bucs extended their winning streak to 18 games with a pair of wins over Faulkner and Southern Union last week. She had three points, one assist and one steal in the blowout win over Faulkner.
• Shelton State freshman center Shadijah Moore (Demopolis High School) scored four points (2-of-2 FG) and grabbed one rebound in the win over Faulkner.
• Stillman sophomore guard Andrea Moore (Hillcrest High School) averaged 6.0 points and 10 rebounds in three games last week for the Lady Tigers. She pulled down a career-high 15 rebounds in the win over Albany State.
• Stillman sophomore forward Morgan Henry (Paul W. Bryant High School) averaged 3.7 points and 1.7 rebounds during the three games with Albany State, Fort Valley State and Clark-Atlanta.
The West Alabama Heroes notebook runs each Wednesday in The Tuscaloosa News. If you know of other Tuscaloosa-area athletes competing at the collegiate level, email firstname.lastname@example.org