WEST ALABAMA HEROES: Dedrick a key player in UAH win
Wed. January 02, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | By Barry Allen
TUSCALOOSA | Here is how some former Tuscaloosa-area high school athletes now competing at the collegiate level fared last week:
• Alabama A&M junior forward Demarquelle Tabb (Greensboro High School) scored 14 points and pulled down seven rebounds to lead the Bulldogs to a 59-57 upset win over Mississippi State on Sunday afternoon at Humphrey Coliseum in Starkville, Miss. Tabb, who spent most of the first half on the bench in foul trouble, scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds in the second half. He scored six straight points in a 90-second stretch in the second half that gave Alabama A&M a 52-51 lead with 4:12 left to play. He added three blocked shots.
• Sophomore guard Justin Wagner (Greensboro High School) has recorded six points, five assists and three rebounds in nine games. He did not play in the win at Mississippi State on Sunday.
• Alabama-Huntsville freshman guard Wayne Dedrick (Hillcrest High School) scored 10 points and added two assists and one rebound in the Chargers’ 107-63 win over Tuskegee on Saturday in Huntsville. Dedrick hit two 3-pointers and made all four free throws in the win.
• Alabama Southern freshman guard Charvis Teacher (Greensboro High School) is averaging 2.9 points and 1.9 rebounds in 11 games. He has made 10 starts and leads the team with 17 steals.
• Columbus State sophomore guard/forward Dimitri Davis (Tuscaloosa County High School) scored eight points and pulled down eight rebounds in the Cougars’ 68-57 win over in-state rival West Georgia on Sunday. He added one assist, one steal and one blocked shot in 24 minutes.
• East Central (Miss.) Community College sophomore forward Brock Hall (Paul W. Bryant High School) is averaging 5.0 points and 2.0 rebounds since joining the team at the conclusion of football season. East Central (0-11) returns to action Tuesday against conference rival East Mississippi Community College.
• East Central (Miss.) Community College Tejiminon Leatherwood (Northridge High School) is averaging 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds in 11 games. He is shooting 47.2 percent from the floor and leads the team with 21 assists.
• East Central (Miss.) Community College Keivondre Watford (Central High School) is another member of the Warriors football team that has joined the men’s basketball squad. In 11 games, Watford is averaging 3.4 points and 2.4 rebounds. He has made five starts.
• Itawamba Community College sophomore forward Tre Wells (Hillcrest High School) is averaging 6.3 points and 4.4 rebounds in 11 games. He leads the team with a 61.5 field goal percentage and three blocked shots.
• Lawson State sophomore center Pierre Crawford (Greene County High School) is averaging 4.3 points and 3.6 rebounds in 11 games.
• Marion Military Institute sophomore guard Kenneth Tabb (Francis Marion High School) is averaging 6.5 points and 2.4 rebounds in 13 games.
• Middle Tennessee State junior forward Neiko Hunter (Greene County High School) scored nine points and pulled down four rebounds in the Blue Raiders’ 69-52 win over Florida International on Saturday. Hunter added nine points as the Blue Raiders (11-3, 3-0 Sun Belt) beat North Texas 75-57 on Monday.
• Northeastern sophomore forward Reggie Spencer (Hillcrest High School) tallied 13 points, three rebounds and three assists in the Huskies’ 83-63 loss at Alabama-Birmingham on Saturday. Spencer made 6 of 10 field goal attempts in 24 minutes of action. Northeastern opens Colonial Athletic Association play Thursday at George Mason.
• Shelton State Community College sophomore guard Nick Browder (Hale County High School) is averaging 1.2 points and 0.3 rebounds in nine games. Shelton State returns to action today at Northwest Florida State College.
• Shelton State Community College sophomore guard Derek Hamner (Hillcrest High School) is averaging 8.5 points and 3.0 rebounds. He has started all 10 games and leads the team in free throw shooting (82 percent).
• Shelton State Community College sophomore forward Ladarius Tabb (Francis Marion High School) leads the Bucs with 15.4 points per game through eight games. Tabb leads the Bucs in steals and ranks second in field goal percentage (54.6) and rebounds (4.8).
• Shelton State Community College sophomore forward Sean Tingle (Brookwood High School) is averaging 3.7 points and 2.4 rebounds through 10 games.
• Shelton State Community College freshman guard Dylan Wint (Tuscaloosa County High School) has scored three points in six games.
• Sioux Falls senior guard A.J. Holland (Paul W. Bryant High School) leads the Cougars with 10.8 points per game. He is shooting 44 percent from the floor and 70.8 percent from the foul line. He had also tallied 30 rebounds, 21 assists and 17 steals in his nine starts. Sioux Falls (6-3) returns to action Friday at Upper Iowa University.
• Snead State sophomore guard DeShawn Davis (South Lamar High School) has played in two games this season and scored one point.
• Stillman College junior guard Markeith Madison (Hillcrest High School) is averaging 10.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in eight starts. Stillman (4-4) will return to action Thursday when the Tigers host Benedict in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opener.
• Stillman College junior center Torrean Walker (Hillcrest High School) is averaging 8.0 points and team-best 8.3 rebounds in eight starts.
• Tulane freshman guard RaAnthony Sanders (Holt High School) has scored four points in five games for the Green Wave this season. He did not see action in Tulane’s 53-50 win over Alabama on Sunday at Coleman Coliseum. Tulane improved to 11-3.
• West Alabama junior guard Sandy Underwood (Bibb County High School) recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 27 points and 11 rebounds in the Tigers’ 93-80 win over William Carey College on Saturday in Livingston. He hit 8 of 13 field goal attempts and 9 of 11 free throws. He added three assists, three steals and two blocked shots in 40 minutes.
• West Alabama sophomore guard Jacob Acker (Pickens Academy) has played in six games and is averaging one point and one rebound per game.
• Wright State University sophomore center Tavares Sledge (Brookwood High School) scored eight points and grabbed seven rebounds in a 58-49 win over Mount Saint Joseph on Saturday. Sledge hit 3 of 5 field goal attempts and pulled down four offensive rebounds as the Raiders improved to 9-4.
• Alabama junior guard Shafontaye Myers (Sunshine High School) was the Most Valuable Player at the 2012 Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Tournament over the weekend. Myers averaged 9.3 points and 2.7 rebounds in wins over Cincinnati, Long Island-Brooklyn and Hawaii. In the win over Long Island, Myers scored 14 points and added four rebounds and one assist. She hit four 3-pointers in the 80-58 win. She tallied 10 points, two rebounds and one steal in the Tide’s 44-43 win over Hawaii in the championship game.
• Alabama-Huntsville sophomore forward Jaunice Newton (Sumter County High School) tallied eight points and five rebounds in a 79-76 loss to Missouri S&T on Sunday in Louisville, Ky. Newton hit 6 of 7 free throws and added two blocked shots, one assist and one steal.
• Judson College sophomore guard Abby Isom (Hillcrest High School) is averaging a team-best 14.3 points per game. She has hit 92.8 percent of her free throws. Judson (1-5) has not played since Dec. 6 and will not return to action until Tuesday at Selma University.
• Millsaps freshman forward Tori Morgan (Northridge High School) is averaging 9.5 points and 6.2 rebounds in six games.
• Mississippi State junior guard Katia May (Sumter County High School) averaged 7.5 points, 5.0 assists and 3.5 rebounds after playing back-to-back days against Northwestern State and Troy over the weekend. In the win 65-49 win over Northwestern State, May tallied 11 points, six assists and four rebounds in 28 minutes. She tallied four points, four assists three rebounds and two steals in the 82-60 win over Troy on Saturday.
• Shelton State sophomore guard Juliser Harper (Livingston High School) is averaging 4.8 points and 2.3 rebounds in 13 games. Shelton State (15-0) is in the midst of a two-week break and will return to action Saturday against Faulkner.
• Shelton State freshman guard Kaitlyn Taylor (Holy Spirit High School) is averaging 3.9 points and 2.5 rebounds in 15 games.
• Shelton State freshman center Shadijah Moore (Demopolis High School) is averaging 0.8 points and 2.3 rebounds in 12 games.
• Stillman sophomore guard Andrea Moore (Hillcrest High School) is averaging 7.1 points and 4.6 rebounds in eight games. Stillman (1-8) returns to action Thursday when the Lady Tigers open conference play at home against Benedict College.
• Stillman sophomore forward Morgan Henry (Paul W. Bryant High School) is averaging 4.0 points and 2.9 rebounds in eight games.
The West Alabama Heroes notebook runs each Wednesday in The Tuscaloosa News. If you know of other Tuscaloosa-area athletes competing at the collegiate level, email email@example.com